Wednesday 19 June 2013

An otter of sorts !

I've been a bit quiet, preoccupied with the new grandaughter, sorry lol

I was asked at work to quickly supply a diagram or model of an otter, for a blind lass for an exam.
So from this -

I came up with this lol


I know.........dead cat right?!!


Against all my principals I used beaver lamb fur which had been in my stash of work stuff, donated by someone, somewhen. 
Its difficult to portray perspective because of course a person with no sight and that has never had sight, will not understand the relevance of perspective.
Someone who has a visual memory is more likely to remember and understand what perspective is ie. that one leg and one arm is infact behind the body in this case.
So to replicate the exact picture from this exam sheet is flawed for a child with no sight. I'm assured there will be an aide to help the child understand what they are feeling, if necessary. ... if only to say its not a dead cat!!
Talking about cats........

I thought you might like to see this lovely stitched cat that was on display at our last club meet.......



and an Evie update lol
5 weeks old already - 

At home I'm back to stitching up more hexis for my bed cover. Funny how the need to make them hits and its like a form of therapy, you just need to make them you know?


8 comments:

  1. i think you did a great job on the otter. doesn't look like a cat to me. lovely cat stitchery but the best thing here is that cute little Evie. she looks so alert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to be preoccupied :-) Evie is beautiful. I love the cat too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little one is gorgeous,I love watching that first few months of life,they seem to change on a weekly basis, fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wouldn't know what an otter looked like if I tripped over one !I confess I vaguely thought they looked a bit like a seal !!!!but with "arms" because they built dams!!! What a hash of it I'd have made! Not your everyday sight are they ! Evie is lovely...a girl...I'm surrounded by boys..lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely stitching going on there :-) Had to do a double take of the otter, but it doesn't look like a cat!
    I must admit it was pretty worrying but we arrived back home after the peak levels last week. Our taxi driver was giving us the low-down of what happened. Currently the levels are in the moderate range but if wind directions change it will get worse. Schools reopen next week and there's no clear decision if they should if levels re-enter the hazardous range. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweetheart Evie is -- she's smiling! Makes me want to go find a baby to hold. I love a new baby.
    The otter is an amazing creation, oh my -- you should be very satisfied at a job well done.
    Back to hexis as therapy -- I do the same with my knitted hexipuffs! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet is your little Evie! You must just beam in her presence.

    I understand your hexie need. I've been there, that's for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete